Sunday, August 30, 2015

From David: My Brush with Police

Speaking of the U.S. Embassy, it is the largest in the Middle East. The compound  of several large buildings stretches for over one half mile along the street by our apartment. The architectural style is Middle Eastern sandstone of course. It bristles with electronic equipment from every rooftop. To say the least security is tight. Think how you imagine Ft. Knox. Concertina wire on top of every perimeter fence, large signs saying "NO PHOTOS", and if you think they don't mean business there are always armored personnel carriers with machine guns in front at the ready manned by Jordanian soldiers. We haven't seen U.S. Marines yet as they are presumably inside. We pass in front every day on our way to the Taj Mall (remember PF Chang's?). 

Across the street from this imposing compound is more security in the form of a small police car which is always there. It seems tiny by comparison to the fortress across the street. Yesterday as I walked by the occupants of this car waved for me to come over.  Since I wear a silly looking sun cancer prevention hat it was obvious I'm not from around these parts. I was ready with my "please officer I'm just a poor foreigner who doesn't know any better and by the way I didn't take any photos" defense. As I approached I saw three fully armed and combat ready officers wearing bullet proof vests in this parked car in 100 degree heat. The heat alone could make anyone cranky. When I got to the car one officer extended his hand to shake mine. I asked if any of them speak English and one got out of the car saying yes. The next thing I knew they all shook my hand, welcomed me to Jordan, and gave me a cup of Turkish coffee to share. This will remain one of my fondest memories of my time here.

We haven't had much time to explore but we have quite a list of things to see. I've enjoyed writing this so you can expect more soon. One final word about safety for family and friends who might be worried. Jordan is known as the most stable country in the region. Walking at all hours is perfectly safe. There are four million people in Amman including thousands upon thousands of Westerners who are welcomed here just as warmly as we have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment