Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Ben Gurion University (Ber Sheva, Israel)

We traveled to the city of Ber Sheva so Terry could lecture (graduate students and faculty) at the Ben Gurion University of the Negev. The morning began with an activity my wife and I have enjoyed for years: a long car ride. It felt good to drive (we had a rental car) again after almost 6 months. The area was remote. There weren't many cars but there were many warnings, first to be careful of camels crossing the roads, then sandstorm and flash flood warnings. Interestingly, all signs in Israel were always written in English, Arabic, and Hebrew. I drove several hours, first through the Arava Desert and it was sandy and sparse, dotted with rock formations and devoid of vegetation. Continuing north, we went through the Negev Desert and it had more vegetation but it was primarily scrub on the canyon floors. We stopped at places along the way, including the "famous" Yotfata creamery (delicious fresh ice cream). We saw the spectacular wadi (canyon) at Midreshet Sde Boker, where Israel's founder, David Ben Gurion, is buried. We saw the world's largest crater, Makhtesh Ramon (40km long, 500m deep), created not from an asteroid or volcano but receding water. It was part of the trade route the Nabateans took from Petra to Gaza and it was amazing. As we approached Beersheva we passed mile after mile of Bedouin villages that looked like rural Jordan (tents, camels and goats). I was surprised by the number of villages.

Fittingly, when Terry was later given a tour of Israel's largest birthing center she learned births are 70% Arab and 30% Israeli. Readers of my blog know I do not usually stay for my wife's lectures. I take a few pictures then leave to explore or get a cup of coffee and read. I sat in this time, though, because two of the universities in Israel made special requests that my wife include in her lecture a description of how to get published (in addition to how to conduct and write research) and I wanted to give her feedback. It was very interesting. My wife is a very dynamic speaker and students and faculty always seem highly appreciative. This time was no different but the surprise was that afterward the administration asked to meet privately with my wife then invited her to join the university as a guest professor, something we will discuss. On a cultural note, for me the most interesting things were hearing the mosque's call to prayers - in Israel - and seeing the students in my wife's lecture, Arabs and Israelis, side by side, heads covered either with Arab hijab or Jewish covering. There were also some secular male and female students, everyone sitting together, side by side. At these times I can almost believe there may yet be a chance for peace in the Middle East.

No comments:

Post a Comment